What if you’d like to stay longer on your current assignment? It happens all the time. When an assignment really suits you, you get on brilliantly with everyone, love the area and the work is exactly what you want, you may decide that it would be really great to stay on longer. Another common reason for requesting an extension is if you feel you are gaining valuable experience and new skills and would like to continue to build on that. Of course, there are a lot of advantages to extending your stay:
- You’ve got your state licenses already, so you don’t need to re-apply.
- Accommodation is all sorted out – that’s another job you can put off for a while.
- No need to get familiar with the facility, you can crack right on with patient care.
- A better schedule with the hospital.
- You’re having a great time and meeting excellent people.
- You are enjoying the area.
- Building more important career experience.
So if you would like to stay longer, how do you go about it? First of all, at the risk of repeating ourselves, let us know as soon as you can. About 4-6 weeks in is ideal. The hospital has had a chance to evaluate you and you are more likely to get a positive response. It also allows time to go to plan B if they can’t keep you. Some assignments have a limited shelf-life by nature, for instance, maternity leave cover. Other times the hospital just doesn’t have the budget. We’ll take it up with them and see what we can arrange. Quite often they are as pleased as you are to have you for a longer stay.
The important thing to remember is that this is your career and you are in control. The Wayward Medical recruitment team is always here to help you and answer questions. Together we can make travel nursing the best decision you’ve ever made.