Click on a state where you are considering opportunities to see info and links to applications procedures.


Reciprocity is free

A Fee is charged

CNA Licensure

Find a State



Apply: Handled by Facility


Reciprocity is not automatic. Your employer must contact the State agency to have your name added to the Alabama Nurse Aide Registry.


Fee: $330

Apply: By Mail


Work is allowed for 120 days while the application is being processed. Candidates currently licensed in another state must meet Alaska’s training standards and possess a license that is unencumbered.


Fee: $50

Apply: Online Portal


Create an account and choose the CNA by Endorsement route to apply for your licence.

NOTE: Arizona’s current CNA has seen some changes in recent years.

A CNA is a credential that has been around for several years, but there is actually something unique about the current CNA, also called a “Registry CNA”, which is new as of July 1, 2016. Registration CNAs are not required to be certified and are not overseen by the Board. CNA applicants who meet the federal requirements and pass the CNA tests will receive a certificate when they complete an approved CNA program. A CNA’s license or certificate must be renewed every two years by completing 8 hours of practice. There is no criminal background check required, and certification is free.

In contrast, the current LNA has requirements that are almost identical to the “old” CNA. The Board has a higher level of oversight of licensed nurse assistants both before and after the license is issued. A criminal background check is required for the LNA. In order to renew their licenses, LNAs are required to have practised for at least 160 hours in the past two years.


Fee: Free – but you must have an Arkansas address

Apply: By Mail


Please submit clear, legible copies of your driver’s license, social security card, and Nursing Assistant Certification from your state of certification. Documents must all bear the same name. If not, include a copy of documents showing the legal reason for the name change (wedding license, divorce decree, or court order). If you live in a city bordering Arkansas, then you must also have an Arkansas address.

Mail all completed forms to:

PO BOX 8059 SLOT S405
LITTLE ROCK AR 72203-8059


Fee: Fees Vary

Apply: Mail or Fax


The following forms must be filled out and submitted to CDPH in order to transfer your out-of-state certificate to California:

An Initial Application (CDPH 283B (PDF))

In California, fingerprints must be taken through a Live Scan Agency, and a copy of the Request for Live Scan Service (BCIA 8016) (PDF) must be submitted. Also, download the BCIA 8016 Sample (PDF), which demonstrates how to complete the BCIA 8016 form correctly.

• A copy of your out-of-state CNA certificate.

• Documentation proving you provided nursing or nursing-related services in a facility to residents for compensation under the supervision of a licensed health professional within the last two (2) years. Paystubs or W2s are acceptable proofs of employment. If you have received your initial out-of-state CNA certificate within the last two (2) years, you do not need to submit proof of work.

The Verification of Current Nurse Assistant Certification (CDPH 931) (PDF). Part I of the CDPH 931 is to be completed by the applicant and Part II is to be completed by the endorsing state agency (the state you are coming from).


Fee: $10

Apply: Online Portal


Sign up for a CNA Certification by Endorsement account and follow the instructions. You will receive feedback from one of our Application Specialists once your application has been reviewed. You will be contacted via email if your application is incomplete.


Fee: $55

Apply: Online Portal


You should follow “Certified in another state route 7 if you are currently active and in good standing on another state’s registry.

Please complete an online application.


Fee: $30

Apply: By Mail only


CNAs trained and certified outside of Delaware are not allowed to work in nursing homes in the state without a Delaware certification. A CNA in Delaware must be certified before beginning work, whether directly or through a temporary/contract agency.

The Division grants certification through reciprocity on the following conditions:

A CNA currently holds a certificate from the state where he or she practices. CNAs in Maryland must also hold a current Geriatric Nursing Assistant certificate to be eligible for reciprocity.

It is required that the CNA have completed a minimum of 150 hours of training or have completed three months of full-time experience as a CNA performing nursing-related services for pay within the last 24 months.

The CNA must be in good standing in the state or states where he/she is currently certified.


Fee: Free

Apply: Mail Only


In lieu of completing a Georgia state-approved Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program or a state-approved Competency Evaluation Program, an aide from another state may apply for listing on the Georgia Nurse Aide Registry if he or she meets the following requirements.

1. Currently listed on another state’s Nurse Aide Registry for active status, without any discipline or encumbrances.

2. Patient abuse, neglect, or misappropriation allegations or reports are not filed. Patient and resident properties are registered on another state’s Nurse Aide Registry.

3. A nurse aide’s record does not mention any pending or substantiated reports of patient abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of patient property in another state’s Nurse Aide Registry.

4. Has a valid, government-issued social security card with the name matching the individual’s registry listing in the state noted in #1 above.

5. Has been employed as a Certified Nurse Aide for at least eight (8) hours, for pay, under registered nurse supervision within the past two years of submitting the required information to Georgia.


Fee: Fees vary by Fingerprint provider

Apply: Online Portal


Click on the appropriate tabs to see the Initial Licensing Requirements, Process, Fees, Statutes and Administrative Rules for a Certified Nursing Assistant by Endorsement.


Fee: $25

Apply: Mail only


Reciprocity is available to applicants who are or have been certified in other states (Route 2 on the application form). Registration will be verified by Prometric.

A nurse aide is required to take the competency assessment if it is not current. Reciprocity candidates must submit current certifications.

Prometric will need the state name and the date the certification expires.


Fee: Free

Apply: Mail Only


Please do not submit this form to the Idaho Nurse Aide Registry. After completing this form, it is your responsibility to send it to the state agency you are transferring FROM.

The following states do not verify your registry status in writing: AZ, CA, CO, IL, KY, MO, NC. These states have public verification websites where you can print your current status.

Please send that along with the completed out of state verification form to the PO box address found at the top of the form.


Fee: $25

Apply: Mail or Fax

Download the OUT-OF-STATE application form, fill it out, and mail it to Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Nurse Assistant/Aide Testing, 1840 Innovation Drive, Suite 103, Carbondale, IL 62903.

CNAs who do not hold active certification in another state may recertify in Illinois without having to pay a transfer fee.

If you wish to inquire about recertification, please contact the Nurse Aide Testing office at (877) 262-9259 or by email at


Fee: $65

Apply: Mail Only

1. Applicants must submit original application form for Indiana State Department of Health Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation (complete sections I and IV and sign the bottom of side 1). For an application to test, please contact Ivy Tech Community College at (317) 917-5948 or download via the button below.

2. Certification proof: A copy of the current out-of-state certification showing the registry number and expiration date.

3. In Illinois and Alabama, CNAs are also required to submit a letter from their employer detailing at least one eight-hour shift in the past 24 months if the registry was certified more than two years ago. The letter must be on letterhead and include the candidate’s name, job title, and dates of employment.

4. Out-of-state employers must submit a completed Out-of-State Validation Statement on facility letterhead, signed by the facility representative who contacted the appropriate out-of-state registry.

5. A $65.00 testing fee must be paid by money order or facility check made out to Ivy Tech Community College. Visa or MasterCard are also accepted. Personal checks will not be accepted.

TESTING: There is a written test to take.

Mail your application, documents, and fee to:
CNA Testing
P.O. Box 1621
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206

Applicants will be informed by phone or mail about the test date, time, and location by Ivy Tech Community College. Testing will be scheduled within 30 days after receipt of a valid application.


Fee: Free

Apply: Mail or Fax

DCWs transferring from another state should use the “State Certified (if other than IA)” field to indicate state(s) in which the DCW is currently employed. The facility is responsible for contacting the Registry of the previous state in order to verify its status.

Most states will provide a license number and/or an expiration date. Include a copy of the DCW’s present Registry certification card and their Social Security card, if available.


Fee: $20

Apply: Mail only

NOTE: If you have previously worked as a Kansas Certified Nurse Aide, DO NOT complete this form. You may contact the Kansas Nurse Aide Registry at 785-296-6877 for your Kansas certification status.

A candidate must be listed as current or active on any other state’s nurse aide registry before taking the Kansas Nurse Aide Test. Candidates who are unsure of their status should contact their state registry before applying for Kansas certification.

This form must be completed by all candidates for testing, along with the following documents:

  • Identification with current name and social security number (e.g., driver’s license, social security card)
  • $20.00 non-refundable application fee payable to KDADS (check, money order, or certified check).


Fee: Free

Apply: Mail or Fax

If you have an active status in another state, submit:

Full Name (First, Middle, and Last)
Telephone Number
Mailing Address
Social Security Number
Date of Birth
Name of State Currently Certified In
Certification/Registration Number
Copies of Social Security Card, Driver’s License, and State Certification
Send information to KNAR:

Mail to:
Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry
312 Whittington Pkwy, Ste 300-A
Louisville, KY 40222-5172

Fax to:


Fee: $35

Apply: Mail Only

Select Route 8 on the form.
In order for you to maintain certification, you must be in good standing in each state in which you are currently certified. Prometric will handle all reciprocity applications for Louisiana.

Be sure to read the “Reciprocity Procedure” before submitting your application to Prometric. The application must be accompanied by payment, a legible copy of your social security card, and official Louisiana identification (ID card, driver’s license, etc.). A military ID is also acceptable. A LA ID is not required for CNA’s who live within 30 miles of the LA border.

Mail all required information to this address:
ATTN: LA Nurse Aide Program
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236


Fee: Free

Apply: By Mail only

Maine allows CNA’s to work for 4 months without being on their registry.
To learn more about this program and/or to apply, please contact:
Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Licensing and Certification
Maine Registry of Certified Nursing Assistants and Direct Care Workers
41 Anthony Ave; 11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0011


Fee: $20 + Fingerprint fees.

Apply: By Mail only

Contact the CNA program at 410-585-2044 or fax a request at 410-764-8042 or send an e-mail
request for the application to


Fee: Free

Apply: By Mail only

General Instructions:
If you have a nursing assistant certification from another state, complete this form. If you have ever worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant in Massachusetts, you should not complete this form. Instead, contact ARC Staff at 1-800-419-3567, 962-4337 or 1-781-979-4010 for renewal information.

Applicants must submit an application to the Nurse Aide Registry where they are currently certified for verification in order to be placed on the Massachusetts Nurse Aide Registry. Once you receive your verified application, please mail the original application* to the following address:

ARC/Massachusetts Nurse Aide Program
Reciprocity Program
85 Lowell Street
Peabody, MA 01960


Fee: $20

Apply: By Mail

Michigan’s reciprocity requirements include, but are not limited to:

Federal regulations mandate that the state training program requires a minimum of 75 training hours prior to the competency evaluation examination, and does not allow candidates to exempt from training hours. The following states have confirmed that their programs meet or exceed Michigan’s requirements.

Candidates who have trained and tested in one of these states are eligible to apply for a MI certification:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming


Fee: Free

Apply: By Mail only

Please follow directions carefully. An incomplete application may delay your registration.
Forms that are incomplete will be returned to the address you listed on the forms.

1) Complete Section A-1 and submit it to the state registry from which you are transferring. For your convenience, a list of Nurse Aide Registries is on the reverse side.
If you are transferring to Minnesota from one of the following states: California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, or North Carolina, please complete Section A-1 and mail it to the Minnesota Registry.
2) Submit Section B-1 to your old/current employer in the state where you are transferring from.

You should check with the registrar in the state from which you are transferring to see if there is a fee.

The Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry will send a letter to verify your registration. This letter will be sent to the address you listed on your


Fee: $26

Apply: By Mail only

It is important to note that applications cannot be processed without verification of your paid employment as a nurse aide within the last 24 months (unless you were listed on the state registry within the last 24 months). W2 forms or pay stubs from your employer are acceptable forms of verification.

Please send your application, documentation, and appropriate fee in one envelope to:

Pearson VUE – Nurse Aide, Mississippi Nurse Aide Registry
PO Box 822749
Philadelphia, PA 19182-2749


Fee: Unknown

Apply: By Mail

If you are approved to challenge, it will mean that you do not have to complete the entire certified nurse assistant course in Missouri, but rather you will be allowed to take just the final examination (written and practical) in order to become a CNA. Allow seven (7) to ten (10) for a response. You will be added to the registry within six (6) to eight (8) weeks of taking the test.
Those who meet any of the above requirements must submit a written request to the Department of Health and Human Services. A copy of the social security card, the return address, the daytime phone number, and all additional documentation must accompany each request.

Section for Long Term Care
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Attn: Health Education Unit
PO Box 570
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570


Fee: Free

Apply: Online Portal or Email

Online Portal Instructions.

1. Create an Epass Montana Account

2. Start your online application here using your Epass login credentials

Download the PDF form

Email the completed PDF to


Fee: $20 + Abuse & Neglect Class 

Apply: Online

Nursing assistants coming from out of state must also take Nebraska’s one-hour in-service on reporting abuse and neglect. This in-service training can be obtained at some community colleges or online if your first Nebraska employer will not provide it.

We process applications in the order they are received, and it can take up to 30 days to process your application after it is received. The application will be returned to you with a deficiency letter if it is incomplete.

We do not issue licensure cards for Nurse Aides, and we do not notify you when your registration number has been issued. Your registration information can be printed from the website, which is updated every day at 8:00 a.m.


Fee: $50 Application +$51.21 Fingerprinting

Apply: State Nurse Aid Registry Telephone Directory

Make sure you follow all instructions. All questions must be answered completely and written legibly in all sections. Incomplete applications will not be processed.

The Board will certify you for a period of one year following the date it receives your application. It’s your responsibility to check in with the Board to determine the status of your application. Any changes to your address of record must be reported to the Board in writing within 30 days. If you are eligible for a temporary certificate, one will be issued after all documents have been submitted, reviewed, and evaluated. Temporary certificates are only valid for six months and cannot be renewed.

Nevada does not mail certification cards. Check to see if your certificate has been issued and note its expiration date on their website.

New Hampshire

Fee: $82

Apply: By Mail


  • For printing applications, please use high-quality paper (8 1/2 x 11-inch white paper is required).
  • You should ensure that the form prints completely, making sure all text is legible, as well as all boxes, seals, and symbols.
  • Read and follow the application directions.
  • Answer all questions and provide all requested information.
  • In case the answer is N/A or none, please state so. Applications that are incomplete will be returned.
  • Submit the completed application to the New Hampshire Board of Nursing.
  • Be sure to sign and date and include the correct application fee.

New Jersey

Fee: unknown

Apply: Call to apply

Equivalency or reciprocity as a means of certification
Certification from another state or U.S. territory may qualify you to work in New Jersey and be added to the state registry if you meet the following requirements:

  • The state’s or U.S. territory’s registry confirms you have completed a training and competency evaluation program equivalent to the NJ training and competency evaluation program.
  • The state registry shows that you have not been convicted of a crime and have not been found responsible for any abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of resident property;
  • The criminal background investigation requirements are met.

Call 1-877-774-4243 to apply for reciprocity.

New Mexico

Fee: Free

Apply: Email, Mail or Fax

New Address: 5301 Central Avenue NE, Suite 1510 Room 11, Albuquerque, NM 87108
New Fax # 505-841-6551
New Phone # 505-861-9680
Updated email address:

New York

Fee: $50

Apply: By Mail Only

Payable by money order or certified check made payable to “NY Commissioner of Health, NYNA.” Your name and identification (if available) must appear on the form of payment.
We do not accept personal checks or cash. Fees are nonrefundable.
Mail to:
Prometric, ATTN: NY Nurse Aide Program
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD

North Carolina



Nursing Assistants from out-of-state are eligible to be listed on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry following completion of either a training waiver or reciprocity application. The requirements are listed below.

Training Waiver:

  • Within the last 24 months, the candidate must have successfully completed a state-approved nurse assistant training program
  • An unexpired license from another state that is in good standing must be currently listed in that state’s registry

*Reciprocity Application (Out-of-state private employment does not qualify a candidate for reciprocity):
An applicant must complete a state-approved nurse aide training program, pass competency testing, and be listed on another state’s nurse aide registry

Currently listed on another State’s registry of nurse aides in good standing, without pending or significant findings of abuse, neglect, exploitation, or misappropriation of patient property

In order to be eligible for reciprocity, the nurse aide must have worked for monetary pay for at least eight (8) hours during the previous 24 consecutive months performing nursing or nursing-related tasks delegated and supervised by an RN.

North Dakota

Fee: Free

Apply: Online Application

Complete applications are processed within 3-5 business days. Status of license applications can be viewed online at


Fee: Free

Apply: By mail or Fax

If you have an active CNA certification in another state, you can apply for reciprocity.

You must be in good standing with no crimes or misconduct against patients.

The Ohio Department of Health Nurse Aide Registry will require the following information:

Your full name

Copy of your driver’s license

Copy of your social security number

Date of birth

Current home address

Daytime phone number

Name of state(s) where you are registered

Submit all the requested information above to:

Ohio Nurse Aide Registry- 246 N. High Street-Columbus, OH43215
Or fax to: (614) 564-2461 or (614)466-8692


Fee: Free

Apply: Mail Only

CNAs from out-of-state can transfer their licenses to Oklahoma through reciprocity.

• Download and complete the reciprocity application
• Please provide copies of your certifications, training, and employment proof from the old state.

The registry will deny your transfer application if there are findings of abuse or neglect on your record.


Fee: $64.50 Fingerprints

Apply: Online Application

If you meet the following requirements, you may apply for an Oregon CNA certification by endorsement:

• You have never been certified as a CNA in Oregon; and

• You have completed an OBRA-approved nurse aide training program in another jurisdiction; and

• Hold an unencumbered CNA certificate from another state or jurisdiction in the U.S.; and

• At least 400 hours of paid work experience doing CNA authorized duties (if you have been out of training for more than two years).


Fee: Free

Apply: Online

Create an account and once logged in, look for the small link labeled “To apply for nurse aid reciprocity, click here”

Rhode Island

Fee: $35

Apply: By mail only

Complete the form, print it out and mail to:
3 Capitol Hill, Room 104
Providence, RI 02908-5097
(401) 222-5888

South Carolina

Fee: Free

Apply: Online Portal

In order to be added to the South Carolina Nurse Aide Registry by reciprocity, you must submit an online application and provide proof of completing a minimum of 100 hours of nurse aide training, as well as your current certification information.

Click on the above link and “Create an Account”. Fill out the South Carolina Reciprocity Application.

South Dakota

Fee: Free

Apply: Online/By Mail

• According to ARSD *44:74:02:23, this application process is for individuals who have never been licensed as a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) in South Dakota but have been licensed by another state.

• As a CNA, if this is the first time the individual has applied for Interstate Endorsement, the individual may work in South Dakota for up to four months while the application is being processed in accordance with ARSD §44:74:02:03.

• If all endorsement requirements aren’t met within 4 months, applications will expire and the applicant will no longer be eligible to work in South Dakota as a CNA.

• There is no processing fee for the South Dakota Registry.

The applicant should:
Complete the online application.
Please print the Verification of Registration form and submit it to the state registry where the applicant was originally registered as a Certified Nurse Aide.
Print the Employment Verification form and have your current or previous employer complete it.


Fee: –

Apply: Online

In May of 2019, D&S Diversified Technologies assumed control of the TN CNA reciprocity approval process from the TN Dept of Health.

Information and forms for Out of State Nurse Aide Reciprocity Tests are at bottom left.

For assistance, call 888-698-1278.


Fee: Unknown

Apply: Online – Desktop/Laptop only

The form cannot be viewed on mobile devices or tablets. You will need to access the link below on Desktop or Laptop.


Fee: $30

Apply: By Mail, Fax or Email

Transferring your CNA into and out of Utah:
Please complete the attached application and email, mail or hand deliver it along with a photocopy of your driver’s license, or other acceptable form of identification, nursing assistant credentials and required fee to the Utah Nursing Assistant Registry (UNAR).
If the names on the application, ID, and nursing assistant credentials do not match, your application will be denied.
Email applications and attachments must be in PDF format. Images in JPEG, TIFF, PNG or photos of the application and accompanying attachments are not acceptable and will be returned to you for resubmission.


Fee: $20

Apply: Online Application

CNAs and LNAs from out-of-state can be endorsed into Vermont without examination only if they meet experience requirements.

  • During the previous two years, they must have worked at least 400 hours (50 days).
  • You will need to verify your license. An endorsement candidate can receive a temporary license, however. The Board of Nursing website provides verification forms.
  • Applicants must complete their files within six months.
  • Nursing assistants with active status who have not met the 400-hour requirement but have completed a program of at least 80 hours may test without retraining. The program must have included at least 30 hours of clinical work and must have been completed in the past two years.


Fee: Free

Apply: Online

Register for an account and then login and follow the instructions for applying online.


Fee: $32

Apply: By Mail only

Nursing school students, out-of-state students, or out-of-country students: You can also apply if you have completed training out of state or overseas as a nursing student and would like to take the nursing assistant competency test examinations you must:

• Submit application and fee

• Have your training program submit official transcripts, certificates, or any documentation of training. If your documents are not in English, you must have
them translated by a professional translation service.

• Evidence of completion of seven hours of AIDS education and training.

• Have completed a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course, provide a copy of the front and back of your current card as proof of completion.

• Have successfully passed the nurse aide competency examinations.

Once your training has been reviewed and determined to meet Washington State requirements, you will be eligible to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP). Once you have successfully passed your exam, results will be sent directly to the Department.

Washington DC

Fee: $15

Apply: By Mail

You will need to send this application, a $15 money order made out to Pearson VUE, a copy of your social security card, your current out-of-state nurse aide certificate, and a photo ID with your signature to:
Pearson VUE
DC Nurse Aide Endorsement
PO Box 13785
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3785

West Virginia

Fee: Free

Apply: Online Application

Click the link below and fill out/submit the application for Nurse Aide by Reciprocity.


Fee: Free

Apply: By Mail only

Your application will be processed by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Office of Caregiver Quality within 10 business days.

You will receive a WI Nurse Aide Registry Card within three (3) weeks if you are eligible for placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry.


Fee: $120

Apply: Online

Follow the link below to create your account and apply online.